Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Rights and Wrongs of Installation

If ever you are angry with your laptop, try not to uninstall your monitor driver as funnily enough your computer no longer believes you have a monitor and so displays nothing, leaving you with absolutely no means of fixing it. I know this from experience after the hours of fun and games I had last night messing around with the screen resolution, I thought the only way to fix my problem was to re-install the driver. In order to do that I thought I must uninstall it first, and surely when I restart the laptop, the machine would realise it had a monitor, reinstall itself and happy days - problem solved.

Wrong.

Another similar Gilly-moment I had this week was when I erased my outlook email account. This is easier than it sounds believe me. I was meaning to delete the test account I had (very cleverly I thought) set up earlier that day but in the heat of the moment I selected the wrong account to delete. My entire inbox, contacts, calendar, and sent messages vanished before my eyes.

Fortunately for me I work with understanding IT bods who seem to revel in my misfortune and cluelessness. It is important to make these mistakes in order to learn from them - just not twice in one week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

3 blogs in one week!! Almost makes up for the lack of blogs last week! ;-)