Friday, December 15, 2006

Who can you trust to tell the truth? Skype's got the answer!

A long while ago I downloaded Skype, the free online communication software owned by Ebay. I use it mostly as an Instant Messaging service although in the past I have used it for free conference calls with clients based abroad. I was planning on using it to talk to my cousin in Australia but he's never online at the same time as me the slacker. Anyway it's a pretty cool piece of kit, and it's just got better!

I've just read about this great add-on called the kish-kash lie detector which analyses audio stream over a Skype call in real time and illustrates the stress levels of the other person - wowsers! As well as operating in real time the KishKish device can also record calls for analysis later.

Researchers found that frequencies in the human voice are sensitive to honesty. When a person is being honest the average sound in that range is generally in the lower frequencies, but is usually higher in dishonest situations. Although unfortunately I think you can only download a free trial version at the moment. It's definitely one to watch out for though - and if you're on a skype call any time in the near future, be careful what you say and make sure you say it in a really deep voice!

No comments: